Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Infiltrator Part 17 - Straight for Him!

See what I did with the title there? I've taken up the habit of naming sessions and episodes with clever quotes instead of formal titles. You can also see that Infiltrator isn't dead. It's just a pain in the face to make pathfinding work, especially when you spend most of your day studying for tests.


I've not only integrated a pathfinding engine based on the D* algorithm, I've also upgraded the grid drawing engine. The grid now handles three types: occupied, unoccupied, and part of a path. Green tiles are part of an AI path, blue are empty, and red are non-traversable occupied tiles. There is one little problem however.


In the screenshot above, I'm using 32x32 sized units to demonstrate the flexibility of the engine. The problem here is glaring. The drones are indiscriminately plotting a course straight through the walls as if they aren't there. The worst part is that I have no idea what's causing this. It's crucial that I get this pathfinsing system smooth and polished because AI is going to be built on top of it. I'm sure it's nothing extremely serious and that I'll be able to fix it soon, but we'll see.

And that's really all that's been going on during this session. It's not much visually, but it is quite important under the hood.

    --LazerBlade

No comments:

Post a Comment